Good day guys! :)
I've been recently reading Steve Bavister and Amanda Vickers' NLP For Success and I feel like sharing it here hehe. It's worth to be read anyway. It's a book about NLP, Neuro-Linguistic Programming. NLP is a kind of psychology method used in almost every aspect in life. Well, rather than to get bored with my explanation about NLP, let's just read the review... eh I mean quick summary below. :))
What is NLP?
NLP was founded on the early 70s by Richard Bandler and John Grinder from University of California.
NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) is a method used to "modelling" the best of someone.
Confusing, eh? Take a look at it this way:
- As a human, we experience everything in this world through our five senses: eyesight, hearing, palpability, olfactory and tasting.
- There's so much information coming to us continuously.
- We, consciously and unconsciously, delete all the things that we don't want to pay attention to.
- Then we filter the left data based on our past, our values and our beliefs.
- What we got, in the end, is the incomplete and inaccurate version of the real world.
- The filtered infos then shape our "internal map" -- that influences our phisiology and our "state of being".
- In the end, the internal map influences our behavior.
For example there's a person named B.
B actually realizes everything that's happening around him. People talking in front of him, a cat meow-ing behind him, the sound of fan above him, that the bookshelf beside him is colored beige, even there's an ant on the plate in front of him, B actually realizes those things.
It's just that, as I've said, for some reasons, we consciously and unconsciously choose to delete the infos we don't want to pay attention to (like when there's an ant on the plate in front of B, he doesn't realize it because unconsciously he chooses not to pay attention to it.)
That's the example for number 1, 2, and 3. Number 4, 5 and six is kind of different.
B, then, filters the left data, based on his past, his values and beliefs.
B once got flu because of turning on the fan when the weather was cold (B's past) -- so he decides to turn off the fan.
B looks at the cat meow-ing behind him, it turns out that the cat is hungry. Because one of the values (what matters most) that B holds is to not let other beings suffering, B shares his food with the cat.
One of B's beliefs is that by reading book we will be able to handle things better so when he knows that there's a bookshelf in the cafe, he picks one that matches his interest and reads it.
So, NLP: a method used to "modelling" the best from someone means we can model someone's best attitude using NLP method so that we can do things better.
It's not only we can model someone else, though, we can also re-model ourselves using NLP.
Next: "The map is not the territory". <-- What does this mean? :3